Interesting information about the life and times of Joseph Taylor and the
Globe Theatre of Elizabethan London, England
Short Biography of the life of Joseph Taylor - Elizabethan actor
The following biography information provides basic facts about the life Joseph Taylor:
- Nationality - English
- Lifespan - Joseph Taylor (1586 - 1652)
- Acting Troupes: Member of the Chamberlain's Men and the Kings Men. He then joined the Duke of York's Men in 1610 and the Lady Elizabeth's Men in 1611 and then returned to the King's Men acting troupe
- Career - Actor. He was famous for playing the character Iago
- Famous for : He was named as one of the 26 actors who performed in the plays which were listed in William Shakespeare's First Folio
- The First Folio was published in 1623 and contained approximately 900 pages containing 36 of the plays by William Shakespeare. It was entitled "Mr. William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories & Tragedies"
- He died on 4 November 1652 in London
The reputation of the early Elizabethan Actors was not good and any were viewed as no better than rogues and vagabonds - actors were not trusted. The standing of actors improved when the purpose-built theatres were introduced and some Elizabethan actors became the equivalent of today's superstars.
The Chamberlain's Men Acting Troupe
The Chamberlain's Men, of which Joseph Taylor was a member, were the most important company of players in Elizabethan England and led by the Burbage family and William Shakespeare. Initially known as known as Hunsdon's Men, whose patron was Henry Carey the first Lord Hunsdon. Hunsdon then took office as the Lord Chamberlain. The Chamberlain's Men were taken under the royal patronage of James I in March 1603 and were then known as the King's Men. The main rivals of the Chamberlain's Men were the Admiral's Men Acting Troupe led by Edward Alleyn and Phillip Henslowe.
Interesting Facts and information about the History, Life & Times of the famous Elizabethan actor, Joseph Taylor. Additional details, facts and information about the Globe Theatre and other actors can be accessed via the Globe Theatre Sitemap.