Interesting information about the life and times of Richard Tarlton and the
Globe Theatre of Elizabethan London, England
Short Biography of the life of Richard Tarlton - Elizabethan actor
The following biography information provides basic facts about the life Richard Tarlton:
- Nationality - English
- Lifespan - Richard Tarlton (1568 - 1615)
- Also known as 'Snuff'
- Born in Kings Lynn in the year 1568
- Family - Son of a tailor
- Acting Troupes: Member of Leicester's Men, the Queen's Men and the Lord Chamberlain's Men
- He travelled extensively during his early career with Leicester's Men including William Kempe visiting Holland, Belgium, Germany and Demark
- Career - Writer, Actor , Fool and Comedian
- He was also a drummer, tumbler and qualified Master of Fencing
- Famous for : Succeeded Will Kempe as Principal Comedian at the Globe Theatre. Author of Foole upon Foole
- He died in 1615
- He is buried at St Leonard's, Shoreditch. St Leonards Church was often frequented by Elizabethan actors as it was located near to the first purpose built theatre called 'The Theatre' and also in close proximity to the 'Curtain Theatre'
The reputation of the early Elizabethan Actors was not good and any were viewed as no better than rogues and vagabonds - actors were not trusted. The standing of actors improved when the purpose-built theatres were introduced and some Elizabethan actors became the equivalent of today's superstars.
The Chamberlain's Men Acting Troupe
The Chamberlain's Men, of which Richard Tarlton was a member, were the most important company of players in Elizabethan England and led by the Burbage family and William Shakespeare. Initially known as known as Hunsdon's Men, whose patron was Henry Carey the first Lord Hunsdon. Hunsdon then took office as the Lord Chamberlain. The Chamberlain's Men were taken under the royal patronage of James I in March 1603 and were then known as the King's Men. The main rivals of the Chamberlain's Men were the Admiral's Men Acting Troupe led by Edward Alleyn and Phillip Henslowe.
Interesting Facts and information about the History, Life & Times of the famous Elizabethan actor, Richard Tarlton. Additional details, facts and information about the Globe Theatre and other actors can be accessed via the Globe Theatre Sitemap.